Children's Continuum of Care Reform
In response to the statewide crisis in foster care, PCSAO has launched a bold reform plan to reimagine the child protection system to get better outcomes for children and families.
For years, Ohio’s child protection system has struggled with a rising number of children coming into care, in part due to the opioid epidemic. These children present with more complex needs, stay longer in custody, and cost more. A true continuum of care must begin with a commitment that children should be raised in families, not in institutions. Services should start before children are removed from their homes through prevention, diversion, and crisis services. And for those children who are removed and who cannot be placed with kin, high-quality, appropriate foster placements — including treatment foster homes and short-term residential placements — must be available as close to home as possible. Then, after children return home, support must continue to prevent reentry and ensure sustained permanency.
PCSAO Needs Your Help!
- Step 1: Review our reform plan to establish a Children’s Continuum of Care.
- Step 2: Endorse our reform plan and become an organizational supporter of our campaign.
- Step 3: Share our reform plan with colleagues and providers on social media using the hashtag #FosterHope4OHKids.
The Children’s Continuum of Care Reform was developed by PCSAO“s membership, made up of Ohio’s county children services agencies. We are pleased that the following organizations have also formally endorsed the plan:
- A Place 4 Me, YWCA Greater Cleveland
- Casey Family Programs
- Children’s Defense Fund-Ohio
- Family and Youth Law Center at Capital University Law School
- Institute for Human Services
- Kinnect (transforming from Waiting Child Fund)
- Ohio Chapter, American Academy of Pediatrics
- Ohio Children’s Alliance (formerly Ohio Association of Child Caring Agencies)
- Ohio Children’s Hospital Association
- Ohio Family Care Association
- Ohio Job and Family Services Directors’ Association
- Ohio United Way
- Voices for Ohio’s Children
- Youth Villages
Updated September 2018
Continuum of Care Resources
- Quick Overview of PCSAO’s Reform Plan
- Slide Deck of PCSAO’s Reform Plan Overview
- California’s Continuum of Care Reform: May Webinar and Slide Deck
- Slide Deck from May 3, 2018, Stakeholder Kickoff Meeting
- Stakeholder Kickoff Meeting Article
Family First Prevention Services Act Resources
- NEW! Impact of FFPSA on Ohio’s IV-E Waiver
- PCSAO Comments on Proposed Model Family Foster Home Licensing Standards (October 2018)
- PCSAO Comments on Proposed Prevention Services Clearinghouse of Evidence-Based Practices (July 2018)
- North Carolina’s Stakeholder Kickoff Meeting Recording and State Page
- Colorado’s Webinar Series and Materials on Family First Prevention Services Act (Google Drive Folder)