Weir among 2016 YWCA Cincinnati Women of Achievement
Moira Weir is among eight women selected as 2016 YWCA Greater Cincinnati Career Women of Achievement. Weir is director of Hamilton County Job and Family Services and a past PCSAO president.
According to a news release, the YWCA selected women whose collective career experiences, vision and leadership skills have contributed greatly to entrepreneurship, the private sector and the public sector. Weir will be honored at a luncheon May 11 at Duke Energy Convention Center in downtown Cincinnati. For more information or to reserve a ticket, call the YWCA Greater Cincinnati at 513-241-7090 or visit this website.
As director of Hamilton County JFS, Weir tackles some of the area’s most challenging and intransigent social problems: poverty, child and domestic abuse, unemployment. Through community collaboration and strategic leadership during some of the county’s harshest budget cuts, Weir has transformed the department into an award-winning $2.1 billion agency that is now viewed as a state and national model for evidenced-based interventions and partnerships.
JFS has won national and state awards for innovative programs that are helping hundreds of thousands of Hamilton County residents in areas of child protection, elder protection, child support enforcement, workforce development and food stamp/Medicare disbursement. Her 2015 Friends and Advocates Making Investments in Local Youth (FAMILY) Fund has raised more than $50,000 for the special needs of foster children and others served by the agency.
Weir rose through JFS ranks, starting as a child welfare worker in 1993 and being appointed director in 2007. Inspired by a goal of “making life better for women,” she is one of the highest-ranking women in Hamilton County government.
In its news release, the YWCA cited several examples of Weird’s leadership and community involvement:
- Earned 12 National Association of Counties Achievement Awards from 2009-2015 for innovative programs and initiatives
- Member, Ohio Supreme Court Advisory Committee
- Board Member, Hamilton County Community Action Agency, and Cincinnati Tennis Club
- Launched the Choose Your Partner Carefully campaign to educate young single mothers about warning signs of abuse in their partners
- Inspiration for the University of Cincinnati Weir Scholarship, for her vision in founding the Higher Education Mentoring Initiative