November marks National Adoption Month
Each November, child protection and adoption advocates celebrate adoptions — all month long during National Adoption Month and on Nov. 21, National Adoption Day, in particular. This month will feature events and similar observances at public and private agencies across Ohio.
Permanency for children waiting in foster care is one of our system’s biggest priorities. Ohio has a number of innovative efforts underway to find adoptive homes for the 2,500 children waiting to be adopted in Ohio, from Wendy’s Wonderful Kids child-focused recruiters and youth-centered permanency roundtables to intensified training on family finding/family search and engagement.
President Obama has proclaimed November as National Adoption Month, and Governor Kasich has issued a resolution to the same effect. Resources are available from numerous national and state advocacy organizations, including:
- New Recruitment PSAs from AdoptUSKids
- The Children’s Bureau and the Child Welfare Information Gateway
- National Adoption Day
- PCSAO’s recently updated guide, Recruiting Foster and Adoptive Caregivers
- Dave Thomas Foundation for Adoption
- Family & Youth Law Center
- Ohio Adoption Photo Listing
For information about adopting children from foster care, contact your county children services agency.